Rochester, NY Knitting Guild Members bring the BIG sock to the Fingerlakes Fiber Festival in Hemlock, NY. This XXXXXXL sock originated in England and has now begun its World Wide Tour in Rochester, New York. The sock originator, Joanna Ratcliffe, hopes to send this sock around the world as it grows to break the Guinness World Record for the largest hand knit sock.
September 15th: 145 people stopped by to knit a while. Hope we can break that record tomorrow!
Facts at a glance:
- Cast on started in October 2006
- Consists of 1500 stitches (7 meters in diameter)
- 11 knitters can be working on it at one time
- Current World Largest Sock measures 4.95 x 4.3 x 1.9 metres and was made by members of the sheep farmer association of Austria. It became a record on 28th March 2005.
- Next destination is Toronto
Track the socks travels at big-sock.blogspot.com